home *** CD-ROM | disk | FTP | other *** search
/ Cream of the Crop 3 / Cream of the Crop 3.iso / bbs / in_9404.zip / MISTAKES.IN < prev    next >
Text File  |  1994-04-01  |  5KB  |  84 lines

2.              ┌────┐  ┌──▄─┐  ┌────┐  ┌────┐  ┌──▄▄▄  ┌────┐  ┌────┐
  3.              ██  ██  │  █ │  ██  ██  │  ▀██  │  ███  │  ▀██  │  ███
  4.              ██  ██  │ █  │  ██  ██  │  ███  │  ███  │  ███  │  ███
  5.              └────┘  └─▀──┘  ▀▀──▀▀  └────┘  └────┘  └────┘  └────┘
  8.       We're all human, we all make mistakes. This file is here to describe
  9.       what some of the more common mistakes we've noticed are  and what we
  10.       can do to help prevent making them or repeating them  in the future.
  11.       Mind you, some of these are required  and some are only suggestions.
  13.       Users with aliases or unvalidated users sometimes get in the network
  14.       and use profanity. We do not tolerate that and it results in instant
  15.       removal from Intelec. To help prevent this from happening on through
  16.       your BBS,  you may consider  only giving the ability to enter public
  17.       mail to those who have been validated. You may also want to give the
  18.       ability to join our relayed conferences  to users who are validated.
  20.       Every once in a while, software seems to have a mind of it's own. If
  21.       you know that the network REP packets  that your system generates is
  22.       less than 50K, use our free utility IS.EXE to check it's size before
  23.       you upload it to your hub site. This can save you real embarrasment!
  24.       IS.EXE and docs are distributed with each month's network info file.
  26.       If you are approved for Intelec relays,  *do not* send through those
  27.       "My BBS is now echoing this conference" type posts in any conference
  28.       other than NetAdmin. I won't, but the rest of the network will "have
  29.       your hide", I will just be VERY upset with you...
  31.       If you're a PCBoard SysOp, do not enable the "origin tagline" in PCB
  32.       Setup. We don't use them in the network and is only useless baggage.
  33.       If the feature is eventually useful for something, it'll be allowed.
  35.       Our name... We've seen some pretty weird variations of our name used
  36.       and we want to share some of the winners here.  Granted, it can be a
  37.       bit confusing. We have seen INTELLECT, INTELECT and INTELLEC to show
  38.       a few. Our name is Intelec. Only one L and only one T. While our net
  39.       is also quite *intellectual*, our network name has been derived from
  40.       International Telecommunications thus the combination of IN & TELEC.
  42.       Taglines... We require our network name in the tagline.  You may use
  43.       any of the following variations,  the ■ is made by pressing ALT 254.
  44.       ■ Intelec ■                       \   We just care that any of these
  45.       ■ Intelec Network ■                >  network "identifiers" are used
  46.       ■ Intelec (tm) Network ■          /   at the START of your taglines.
  48.       Conferences.... Unlike nearly every single network around, Intelec's
  49.       NetAdmin conference is fully public, open to all users.  NetAdmin is
  50.       for administrative issues, discussions  and is a required conference
  51.       to be carried by all Intelec member systems.  Every Intelec SysOp is
  52.       required to follow this conference, "at a minimum" of mail addressed
  53.       to ALL or to THEM.  Or as in "mail-reader-terminology", mail to Y/A.
  54.       It is suggested that they scan for mail addressed from Cliff Watkins
  55.       if this is easier for them. The last thing I want to see is for mail
  56.       I send  to correct a problem  that is ignored/unread/unresponded to.
  57.       It's even better if we get feedback from our SysOps about conference
  58.       or policy proposals but we know that involvement isn't for everyone.
  59.       Also... Moderators, SysOps and Regionals are ALL private conferences
  60.       none of which should be made available to the general public.
  62.       If you make any conference changes on your system,  whether deleting
  63.       or adding any new conferences, do the next mail run manually.  If an
  64.       error was made it is far better that you catch than I catch it. If I
  65.       catch it odds are that hundreds of boards are effected by the error.
  66.       This does not go over very well at all.
  68.       If you use PostLink software for any other network(s) you may carry,
  69.       please use prefixes on your conference names, such as IN_Politics or
  70.       RI_NetAdmin.  This will help PostLink to not be confused as to which
  71.       conference to insert mail to.  Cross-echoes are also a serious prob-
  72.       lem that we do not appreciate.
  74.       Lastly, SysOps are to have read the network rules, this is required.
  75.       Some do, but some don't. Some don't have any idea that something may
  76.       be a rule, and trust me, we enforce them all. Our rules are all fair
  77.       and easy to follow and we have them only for the fact that we do not
  78.       tolerate obnoxious/troublemaking users. We're VERY swift in removing
  79.       them to keep our quality level high!  So do us all a favor, and take
  80.       the time to read over our NETRULES.IN file.  When you do I think you
  81.       will be pleased with how well Intelec is managed.  We are not one of
  82.       the leading BBS networks for nothing.